Take the Temperature
Taking the temperature in a situation is about better understanding where the heat is high (conflict, pain, a lot of disequilibrium) or low (where people are bored or checked out). All of these signal the need for leadership.
Questions to Ask Yourself
- What’s the temperature in the situation? Is it high? Too low?
- How do you know?
- Where is there conflict?
- Where is the pain or urgency?
- Who’s working hard to maintain the current temperature? What’s that about?
- How are other people feeling?
- Who is behaving badly? What problem are they trying to solve by behaving badly?
- What values are in conflict?
- How is that conflict showing up
- Who has a stake in maintaining the status quo?