Quality Rating and Improvement System Fact Sheets
This is a series of fact sheets about the state of quality rating and improvement systems (QRIS). Data are from the Quality Compendium, a catalog of the QRISs operating in the United States.
QRIS Structure, Organization, and Administration
- Trends in Quality Ratings Over Time (2023) reviews current rating structures and processes used in 42 QRISs in 20212 and discusses how they have shifted over time using data from 2015, 2017, and 2019.
- QRIS Data Systems (2019) explores data systems used by QRISs that are currently operating in the United States in 2019.
- QRIS Data Systems (2017) covers the types of data included in QRIS data systems in 2017, how the data were used, and data system linkages.
- Management and Partners (2017) describes the organizations responsible for the administration and management of QRISs in 2017.
- History of QRIS Growth Over Time (2016) shows the increase in the number of QRISs operating in the United States in 2016 and major revisions to QRIS since the late 1990s.
- Mission and Goal Statements (2016) provides examples of mission and goal statements from QRISs in 2016.
- Rating Structures and Processes (2016) summarizes the types of QRIS rating structures in 2016. Also summarizes the common features of the rating process for QRIS.
- Trends in Quality Improvement System Participation Over Time (2023) outlines which program types are eligible or required to participate in QISs, ways QISs recruit ECE programs for participation, and how participation in QISs has changed over time.
- Program Participation in QRISs (2019) summarizes QRIS program participation by program type and quality level in 2019. This document also summarizes the types of data QRISs collect on child demographics.
- Program Participation in QRISs (2017) summarizes QRIS program participation by program type and quality level in 2017. This document also summarizes the types of data QRISs collect on child demographics.
- Program Participation in QRISs (2016) summarizes QRIS participation by program type and quality level in 2016.
- Targeted Communities, Programs, and Children in QRIS (2016) summarizes how QRIS targeted communities and programs that serve at-risk children in 2016.
- Family and Stakeholder Engagement (2017) describes the QRIS engagement indicators and campaigns implemented in 2017.
- Curriculum and Child Assessment Indicators (2016) describes in detail the ways QRISs incorporated curriculum and child assessment indicators in 2016.
- Indicators of Quality for Ratings (2016) describes the features of the most used quality categories and indicators for QRISs in 2016.
- Staff Qualifications, Professional Development, and Supports (2016) provides a summary of staff indicators in QRISs in 2016.
- Children with Special Needs and Inclusion Practices in QRISs (2019) details special needs and inclusion practices in QRISs in 2019, categorized by program type. Also includes information on the relationship between QRISs and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
- Infants and Toddlers Addressed in QRISs (2016) describes what QRISs did to address the unique needs of infants and toddlers in 2016.
- Determining QRIS Ratings Using Cut Points on Observational Tools (2017) provides a descriptive analysis that shows how QRISs incorporated scores and set cut points on the most used observational tools in 2017.
- Use of Observational Tools in QRIS (2016) analyzes how observational tools were incorporated into QRISs in 2016.
Program Support and Incentives
- Technical Assistance (2019) about how technical assistance (TA) was carried out across QRISs in 2019. Describe are the types and focus areas of TA, number and types of TA providers delivering services for QRISs, and processes for providing TA.
- Continuous Quality Improvement in QRISs (2017) describes the number of QRISs that used continuous quality improvement (CQI) in 2017. It also summarizes different CQI strategies used in QRISs.
- Funding and Financial Incentives (2016) summarizes QRIS funding and financial incentives in 2016.
- Technical Assistance (2016) describes how TA was implemented across QRISs in 2016. Explored are methods for targeting TA to early care and education programs, whether standardized processes are used, and details on the dosage of onsite support.