Health and Safety Resources
The Child Care and Development Fund (CCDF) final rule outlines regulations for implementing the Child Care and Development Block Grant (CCDBG) Act of 2014 and administering the CCDF program. It includes provisions to protect the health and safety of children in care. Moreover, the final rule strengthens health and safety requirements for programs receiving CCDF funds.
All Tribal CCDF grantees, regardless of allocation size, are required to meet the health and safety requirements in the CCDF final rule. These requirements include the following:
- Designing, implementing, and enforcing requirements focused on a specified list of health and safety topics
- Health and safety training
- Specific group size limits and ratios
- Compliance with child abuse reporting requirements
- Comprehensive background checks
These requirements are considered the necessary foundation for ensuring the health and safety of children in child care settings.
This page provides resources from the Tribal Child Care Capacity Building Center (TCBC) about protecting the health and safety of children in care.
Health and Safety Requirements
- Tribal Health and Safety Requirements Overview (handout)
- Adapting, Designing, and Implementing Child Care and Development Fund Health and Safety Standards (presentation slides)
- Health and Safety Resource List: Program Practice for Providers (annotated resource list)
- Health and Safety Resource List: Staff Training and Support (annotated resource list)
- Health and Safety Resource List: Standards, Policies, and Monitoring Systems (annotated resource list)
Policies and Procedures for Health and Safety
- Developing Policies and Procedures for Health and Safety (presentation slides)
- Sample Policies and Procedures for Health and Safety (handout)
- Policies and Procedures Checklist for Child Care and Development Fund Tribal Lead Agencies (checklist)
Comprehensive Background Checks
- Tribal Comprehensive Background Checks Resources from the National Center on Subsidy Innovation and Accountability (NCSIA)
Additional Tools and Resources
- COVID-19 Resource List for Child Care and Development Fund Tribal Lead Agencies (annotated resource list)